This recipe is based on a recipe found here:
but I have changed it a little and added some comments about how to prepare it. It isn’t really flapjack – more a soft crumbly cereal bar. It is less sweet and heavy than my usual flapjack recipe, and possibly marginally less likely to induce a heart attack.
- 250g porridge oats
- 125g butter
- 1 dessert apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 large tablespoons runny honey
- 1 level teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a large pan (this will be used to mix all ingredients together), and add the honey to warm it.
- Once melted add all the rest of the ingredients and mix really thoroughly. Make sure the oats are mixed in and not dry!
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Put the mixture onto the tray and gently pat into a rectangular shape with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake in oven about 10-12 minutes, turning half way through if not fan-assisted.
- When golden, remove from oven and leave to cool on the tray for 10 minutes. This is a crumbly mixture and benefits from setting a little before moving. However, you can mark the cutting lines in it if you like, as in the picture.
- After 10 minutes, cut into pieces and move to cooling rack to finish cooling.